The future scares me!!

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the direction my life is headed. I'm quickly coming up on my senior year in college. I've come along way from a first semester freshman wanting to study Theater/Film to a second semester junior studying Sociology with the intent to get a masters in Social Work but am still not content on what I want to do with my life. Last Friday I was able to do a little reporting for BYU Weekly. I convinced my boss to let me be a reporter for the big event Battle of the Bands. To my surprise, he said sure and before I knew it, I was there with my media pass and the camera crew. The night was so much fun!! I realized that I really like this!! It made me freak out about studying Sociology. I love the idea of it and I find it fascinating but I don't really enjoy the classes. It's all theory. I like to get out and do things. I love working with people and the media. I am seriously considering switching my major to Broadcast Journalism. The main problem is by the time I apply to the program and hopefully get accepted, I could be just about done with a bachelors in sociology. Is it worth it to switch? I could finish my Sociology degree and get a masters in Communication or I could get one in Social Work. UGH! I have no idea what to do. Are these feelings for changing majors normal? What do you think I should do? I need some advice.
Another thing that I've been thinking about is going on a mission. It seems like everyone my age is either A. getting married or B. going on a mission. I have always wanted to serve a mission and I feel like it would be a good use of my time but I am just not sure if that if is what I am supposed to be doing. I go back and forth between yes go and no stay. It kinda feels like playing Red Light Green Light. I think it would satisfy my craving to get out and do some service somewhere. It'd be a nice break away from school and maybe help me to think about what I really want to do. Any thoughts or ideas?
Now here is another thing. If I end up not going on a mission, what should I do next summer? I don't want to stay in Provo. I don't want to go back to Idaho Falls. I want to get out and do something fun but yet be able to make a lot of money. I've looked at some internships but most of which cost money to go and that I don't have. I've thought about going somewhere and working but I want to make sure I have a good job that will be worth the expenses of travel. Know of any cool programs or have any good ideas.
As you can tell, I've got a lot of decision I need to make and fairly soon. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
10 comments:
okay you should totally come to Seattle. I have two good friends who both own multi-media companies and maybe you could intern. One does video shoots/commericals for Microsoft and so he is always using actors, people who can talk and do commercials, etc. The other does more commercial type work. The first one I mentioned is going to shoot a music video for me sometime.
I have been where you are, in regard to trying to decide what to do about your education. But MORE so the part about where you feel like all of your friends are either getting married or going on missions.
I'm going to say this once so listen closely. :) WHO CARES what everyone else is doing. You need to do what is best for Grace. Do not feel bad that you aren't doing the same things that others are doing because that is what makes you uniquely you. You will find, years down the road, that you were glad for your 20's and all the fun experiences that you got to have.
I see a lot of what you are going through and it feels like I am looking at myself. Most of my friends were married by the time I was 22 years old. AND they were having kids. I didn't get married until I was 27 years old. and I didn't have Preston until was 30 years old (and I turned 31 two weeks after he was born).
All of my friends now have kids who are 10 and 11 years old, while I have a 16 month old. But you know what? I AM GLAD. I look back on my life and I got to have SO many music opportunites.I got to perform and go places.I also got to date a ton of different guys. I'm grateful for that because when I met Will I knew he was different than the rest. I have never regretted my years of being single in my 20's while the rest of my friends got married. I feel like I got to do more and see more and have more fun :) Not to say there is anything wrong at all with getting married younger. I'm NOT saying that at all. I'm just saying for ME it was the right thing. I have my 30's now to have kids :) Hee hee.
You have exciting decisions ahead of you. Do what you feel is right for you, not the easiest.
We love you Grace! (sorry for the long comment, I just had lots to say LOL).
Grace,
It is ok to change your mind. I think Jenni is right. Do what makes Grace feel good. Missions are great but they are not for everone. I like the idea of spending the summer in the Northwest. I am sure you would grow a lot.
Two Words: FIELD TRIP!!!... Ok... so I don'tk now what that means, but what I realized when I first moved out is that 1) there is a huge world out there to discover, and 2)it will never come to you, you need to go to it. I say have some fun, and feel free to bring me along too :P
My penny worth advice:
1. Get the sociology degree and pursue the masters in communication (if academically possible - check with a counselor or a professor in the masters of communication program).
2. Daniel once told me when I was thinking about a mission some great advice: "Follow the Spirit. A mission may be the best thing in the world but if the Spirit is telling you something else, it doesn't matter. You are to follow the Spirit." The hard part is finding out how the Spirit communicates with you. :)
3. Keep exploring your summer options! Summer trips are life changing. I highly recommend going out and doing (nearly) about ANYTHING.
HA ha... good luck. You will figure everything out and then things will completely change on you.
Look at where you are today. Almost a BYU grad. That is pretty cool. You are where you are now because of your great choices in the past. That speaks volumes about your ability to make good decisions going forward. The Lord has often guided my family in directions we would have never imagined. Keep an open mind, the Lord can make more of you than you can yourself. He sees the end from the beginning. Hence like everyone else has said the SPIRIT is the key. Find ways to live your life and be just a little better than yesterday. For every degree you live more like the Savior, the the spirit will come into your life to and even greater degree than you became more like the savior. Kind of a long thought but the principle is true. When I have big choices to make. I ask myself how can I have the spirit more than I do now.
College and career choices can be difficult, but in the big eternal picture I think we often make them bigger than they really are. If you are more concerned about who you are in the Lord's eyes than what you do, you are guaranteed to suceed.
The Lord trust you. Your family trusts you. Your friends trust you. Even your future children trust you more than you know. Lastly I trust and love you. Make your decisions with the spirit and move forward with faith.
Love,
Luke
P.S. If there are any opportunities for you in Atlanta
you are always welcome here with us. We would love to have Aunt Grace in the south.
okay, okay, now it's my turn. Grace you are so cool. I love you so much!
First of all, I just want you to know that the last year of my schooling I was thinking the same question, Did i pick the wrong major? Do i really think i'll enjoy doing social work?
Let me tell you, Social work is totally different from the class room experience. When i did my practicum I was in awe the whole time because i never knew that social work was exactly where I wanted to be until than. Remember how you felt when you volunteered at the soup kitchen and you met that boy on your last day of work. Everyday can be like.
Grace you are so talented. The Lord made you that way, and believe me, he's going to ask you to use all of your talents so whether you major is sociology and end up going into communication or if you switch to communication you'll probably end up using your Sociology too.
Whenever I have really hard choices to make I like to play "What does the Lord have in store for me?"
Who knows maybe some major service organizations somewhere will someday need a media developer person. Or Maybe somewhere there is a media company in need of a dynamic person who can save the company with her excellent people person skills.
Whatever you do, the Lord will use your talents for good.
As for a mission or not. I think Laura and everyone else gave you some good advice. Fallow the spirit. If you choose to do an internship next summer, you are welcome to stay with us. You might have to share a bedroom with Alisha but you're welcome to stay.
There is a young couple in our ward that both work with media and with Jenni's connections in Seattle you might be in for a lifetime experience.
Okay I think that is all I wanted to say on the matter. Gwenevere is telling me it's time for her nap so i'll be going now. I love you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Gracie, this is your Mother speaking, Listen to your brothers and sisters. They are truely amazing and so are you. Pray! Listen! Follow! I love you! Mom
i have an idea! let us go on a mission together and be companions forever, every area, every transfer. and then we come back and be roommates, go to grad school together and get married to twins (not identical though). then we will happy and always together. HURRAY! I LOVE THE FUTURE, but we must ALWAYS be together..lalalalala
Ah, Grace. You are so loved by so many. I'll fast with you if you'd like. It's going to be exciting to see what comes together for you. Sounds like you've got some thrilling options.
As for a major, I can tell you about my experience in that I had at least four majors and no particular confirmation that any of them, were "the one." My blessing said I'd choose those things to study that would be of benefit to me in my life and I did, they just weren't all in the same major unconventionally. I'm not recommending this method, just pointing out my path was different than what I would have planned and the way my prayers were answered was different than those who clearly just know what they will study.
Warren Buffet said that he goes to work everyday tap dancing because he absolutly loes what he does. Knowng you having a passion for media, ect helps.
For me it became more important just to finish the degree. I feel like I'll have an opportunity to pursue a Masters at some point.
I got to serve a mission, a great privledge. I loved my mission and I knew it was right clearly as day. I desired to go and can tell you exactly where I was when the confirmation came. The mission enriched my life in so many ways and I still feel the blessings today.
The answers came so differently. One was absolute. I just had to move forward. The other took years and in ways still remains an open question; what to major in and when and how? I'll fast with as you study it out. I know He lives! I know He hears our prayers.
You have been told all the right things. To complete the circle of advice given, let's try something different.
You are looking for answers. Grab your watch. We'll take a 2 minute test. When the skinny second hand get to the 12 ponder the following...
"I am looking for answers to life's questions...
-Is there a right and wrong answer to each question?
-Is there even an answer to the question?
-Is there just one answer to my questions?
-Am I suppose to know what's in the future?
-Is it okay to make decisions without knowing?"
Don't worry about knowing...find joy in doing (whatever that is). Time is too short to have to know all the answers.
Just remember..we have advice...you hold the answer.
Post a Comment