Monday, July 26, 2010

Sister Thomas reporting live from Tampa Florida (with pictures)

Hey Ya'll,
I'm so excited to be able to check  my email and tell everyone about all the exciting things I've been up. Well I made it to Florida last week and I'm freaking out because I am already forgetting what has happened and everything I want to tell you. Well lets start off by saying that my first area is the New Tampa area. There are 4 missionaries in the ward so it's quite a party. My trainer Sister Broderick is just like me, almost in a creepy way. We're both tall red heads with somewhat curly hair and freckkes. We look alike talk alike and even had some of the same jobs growing. Everyday we get a little more creeped out by how similiar we are. She is so good for me and is an awesome missionary. I have a feeling we're going to be unstoppable!
I love Florida! It's hot and humid but it's so pretty here. It's GREEN!! Makes me think of Oregon a little bit. The wildlife is interesting. There are weird birds everywhere. One we call missionary birds because they always come in pairs and they just walk across the highway with no fear. And then there is the dino duck... ya weird I know but that's what they are called. One of the ugliest things I've seen. And the bugs, oh goodness they're hug and everywhere. I have yet to see a gator but apparently they are everywhere. They is one that lives under a bridge by our apartment and we call him Troll but we think he went off with Henretta the other gator for a honeymoon and that's why we haven't seen them yet but my eyes are pealed. As far as the humidity goes, I actually really like it. My skin is so soft and my hair curls perfectly, I don't do anything to it. Oh and yes I am so cool that I ride my bike Bruce in 104 degree weather in a skirt surrounded by bugs. Don't ya'll want to see that! :) Sometimes as I'm biking along, I make up songs like I changed the words to Called to Serve to Called to Bike. Anyway you really would have to be here to get the whole effect but it's funny. I also have a car every 2 days and Sister Broderick doesn't like driving so I'm the driver. I feel so cool! 
I've only been here for a week but it seriously feels like 3 years. The days are starting to move a little faster now that I'm getting more in the swing of things. It's weird because I've had so many brothers and sisters and friends serve missions that I feel like I know a lot about them but you really don't know about it until you actually serve one. Every one gives you advice and now that I'm here it makes more sense. It really is a lot of hard work and out of even my comfort zone (which is pretty big). I never really understood what it was like so the first couple days were a little rough but I love it! I think I just don't like being new at things.
As far as missionary works goes well lets just say... WOW! It's so cool. We are working with a lot of really cool people right now. First off the people down here are SO nice! Everybody loves Jesus and wants to hear about him. It's so funny to hear how people talk about Christ because it's so different from the Utah/Idaho culture I'm used to but they do have a relationship with him. One of the first times I was praying with an investigator she starts says, "Thank you Jesus!" and " Hallaluiah" in the middle of my pray. I paused for a second but then kept going. That happens all the time. It's funny when you are praying and they start telling you what they want you to pray for. I love the cuture! We've been working with Ilet Dixon and she is getting baptized on Saturday. My first baptism!! She is so ready. Talk about a golden investogator! We haven't really even done anything, she knows it all already! I am so excited for her. We've got a couple others that we're working with that have baptism dates for Aug 7th and 14th. It's crazy. As my companion says, "we're living in a time of plenty."
I have a question for former missionaries or really any one who can help me. I've noticed that a lot of people say here that it doesn't matter how we worship because we're all worshipping the same Jesus so it doesn't matter as long as you come unto Christ and be a good person. I've been trying to figure out a good way to answer that question. Anygood ideas with scriptures or anything really?
Also I have a request for music. I am dying listening to the one EFY CD the plays in the car. Motab, Paul Cardell, EFY, pretty much all church music. I could probably even get Jenni's music approved. So if you can send me music I would love you eternanally, well I already do but still :) Also send pictures. I have some but I want more, I love pictures of my family and friends. 
Well I'm going to try to send an audio recording and some pictures. I have some more computer time here and we have permission to email family and some friends as long as we email family first. Do don't be afraid to send my emails as well as mail, serious about the whole mail things though. 
Tell me how everyone is doing! How's life in the outside world? Anynews with Jenni and the baby?
Thanks Daniel, Dalynn, Mika and Ember Grace for the wonderful letter and picutures! 
Thanks Elizabeth for the package. It was perfect! 
Thanks Seth for sending off Bruce (my bike) except we're missing a kickstand. Is there a way I can get one?
Thanks SO much Pister family for those really cool smelly sticks! I love em!! You guys are the best!
Well I better go but keep me in your prayers as well as Ilet and the other investigators,
Love
Sister Grace Thomas ( I kind of miss my name, I like Grace) but sister thomas is so cool too! 

5 comments:

Dan Thomas said...

So the nylons went the way of all the Earth. You always could get whatever you prayed in faith for.

The Thomas Family said...

Can we get Grace's email address? The kids loved the pictures! They can't wait to email her.

Dan Thomas said...

Sister Thomas,

One thing you can tell the people that are coming to Christ is that they need the ordinces to come unto Jesus.

Sandy said...

Gracie's email address is
grace.thomas@myldsmail.com. She'll love to hear from you!

Stephen and Ileana said...

This is Stephen, your brother Will's brother-in-law (Jenni's brother). Glad you are here in Florida. I also served in the FTM and it was great. We live here in Brandon so maybe we'll cross paths while you're here!