Monday, August 16, 2010

I feel like a performing monkey in heels!!

Hello World!
This week has been awesome. It started out with tons of rainstorms which I love. We ended up getting caught in the rain several times on our bikes and I totally love it. We met up with some other Sisters in my zone for pday and that was a blast to meet the other sisters. I love sister missionaries, we're so cool haha!!! Anywho... um on Wednesday we had Zone conference and that was pretty exciting we talked about prayer a lot which ironically (or not) has been on my mind a lot this week but I'll do that whole spill later.
The end of the week the weather was warm so we decided to bike everywhere for like 4 days straight. Say goodbye to Sister Thomas and hello to Sister Thunder thighs!! except we're not supposed to have nicknames so don't call me that :) But for reals, I am in SHAPE!! I think when I get home I am running a marathon. And this is not a joke. I want to run the Salt Lake marathon that happens in April I think so anyone who wants to train with me over the next year and a half, let's do it.
So if you're wondering about the title of the email ( which by the way I love coming up with cleaver little titles for my letters, call me weird) I am such a CLUTZ! Imagine me, yours truly Grace Anne riding along on a bike, in a skirt, holding my planner, and trying to give people pass along cards as they are running past.... um.... ya needless to say I have literally ran into people as I am trying to tell them about the restored gospel. I am all dressed nice and trying to be professionanal and then... WHAM!! "oops sorry about that" and then I drop all the pass along cards all over the ground. Ya, good one Sister Thomas. And I think I've come to the conclusion that we wear helmets not in case we fall but for all the tree branches that hit my head. Everytime that happens I just laugh. Sister Broderick and I do a lot laughing together!! Between all the dumb things I say and do and her quirkness, we have a grand ol time.
Now on to a more spiritual aspect of missionary life, I love sharing the gospel! At first I was like these people think I am so freak but it's so cool listening to everybody and then telling them the good news about the restored gospel. I am starting to feel a lot more comfortable with things and I am finding that I am talking to more and more people without Sister Broderick having to force me to say something. I've been pondering a lot about prayer but I think I am going to save that for another email when my thoughts are more clear but I am going to say that prayer is real!! I stayed tuned for more details.
We've had several weird things happen that week that just confirmed my decision to serve a mission. I think the Lord is telling me something. Last Sunday as we were greeting everyone, this guy passed out right in front of us and we ended up calling 911. The Elders gave him a blessing and they wheeled him off on a stretcher. They thougth he was having a stroke. Good news he is doing well and is ok. Then later that week we got to go visit this lady who was in a behavior center. We sang I am a Child of God and all the patients all stopped talking and the spirit was so strong. We talked with this lady who was dealing with some mental problems and just being able to relate to that a little bit just with Dads health stuff. It made me so grateful for the gospel in our lives for that comfort. Then yesterday I got a panicked call from one of our recent converts who informed us that her fiance had slipped in to a coma over in Africa. That's a long story in it's self but we ran over and began attempting to comfort her. I felt like I was right back in the hospital room with Mom telling her everything would be ok. All those emotions and thoughts come flooding back. I had no idea what to say but I  was filled with empathy for her and mom. Tough stuff! It was at that time that Dad was in a coma that I really decided that I want to serve a mission because I want people to have the comfort of the gospel as our family did at that time. I haven't even been out 2 months and already I am dealing with issues similar to some of the toughest times of my life. I think the Lord prepares us for the callings he gives us. After we got home from talking to her we got a call from another lady who has a baptismal date to find out that she is in the hospital because he lungs collapsed. We will be visiting her today. It's amazing how much heartache and struggles are going on in the world right now and I am so inadaquate to deal with them but I am so happy to at least share the message of hope. Life is good!
I know that this gospel is true. It's REAL! It isn't some weird fantasty Harry Potter world but it's truth. We have a loving father in heaven who loves us and has a plan for every single one of us. We all have a remarkable potential and are given everything we need to reach that. There is so much more to this life than we realize. God speaks to us today through his prophets. We have the priesthood again on the earth and I am ever so grateful for it. Sometimes I wish I could express just a smallest part of how I feel regarding my brothers, and friends who hold and honor the priesthood. I respect them all SO much! Oh, it's just so beautiful. Anyway I think I am getting carpel tunel from typing. Is that even what it is called? Lol
Well until next time!
Have a blessed day!
Peace and Blessing ( can anyone tell me what that saying is from) It's a good one! :)
Sister Thomas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where the saying comes from but I'm guessing it comes from a cheesy missionary movie.

Dan Thomas said...

I think you and Bruce are having to much fun!

Anonymous said...

[color=#99aadd]Interesting post! thank you for sharing this information. thatgrace007.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#99aadd]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]