Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Team B.L.T

Disclaimer * Um so I tend to type these things really fast and I notice that there are a lot of spelling and gramatical errors in them and I don't go back in fix them because this annoying little timer keeps ticking away and it freaks me out. So imperfect person writing but enjoy them I guess*
This week was the first week in our threesome of red heads. It's AWESOME!! We call ourselves team B.L.T (Broderick, Lane and Thomas). I even made the most delicious BLTs in honor of our new companionship. I love working with three people. I was nervous about it a first because well lets face it, three girls together all the time, well, could get a little hairy (no pun intended) but regardless of my previous concerns, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Sister Lane is way cool and I really look up to her. She is always full of "what I wish I knew when I was a new missionary" advice. It's great! We've been able to teach a lot of really cool people this week as always and even met all our goals. The work continues to move forward. Everyday is so different. Last week we went from having 7 baptismal dates to 2. We lost one because a memeber got involved that well kind of said some untrue stuff and the investigator got offended. That was really frustrating for me because we've been working really hard with this lady and she had come so far. I felt like I really connected with her and then she dropped off the face of the earth. Hopefully we'll hear back from her soon.
This week I experienced many culture shockers. The first was a bible bash. Yay, that was interesting. We were trying to be all nice and everything and then this guy was just ranting on about, honestly I don't even know what he was talking about, he wasn't making sense and definitely wasn't ready to listen to us. The thought kept coming, bear testimony and leave. I bore my testimony and well I think I got a little passionate about it and he got pretty upset and then left. Well won't be doing that again... The funniest thing part of the whole thing was as follows
Bible Basher Man: " What do you call a woman who has more than one husband?!"
The Member Present: ".... stressed!"
We tried so hard not to laugh and the guy didn't think it was funny but it's so true. Gotta love being a missionary!
On Sunday, after church we attended the church of some of our investigators. That was actually cool to be experience how other people worship. The congregation was about 12 people, 3 of which were my companions and I. We walked in and everyone was so excited to see us. We sang a bunch of songs which was really fun. Then we did a group prayer. We all held hands and lifted them above our heads and then everyone started screaming. I had no idea what anyone was saying or what I was supposed to do. Then the preacher did his sermom and he spoke really loud and fast and kept talking about something about the inferity complex and said amen like 3 times in every sentence followed by hallalijahs. Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience. I acknowledge that these people are worshipping Christ but I think its easier to feel the spirir listening to Coldplay then I did at that church. I do realized more and more though just how much God loves everyone. That's why the gospel is being all over the world. That's why there is such a huge missionary work push in the church. Which by the way I hope eveyone who is reading this is actively looking for missionary opportunities and actively magnifying your calling in the church or life. It's so important.
Some highlights from this week include
  • biking home from in the rain after along day singing hymns at the top of our lungs while watching the sky light up with lightening. ( Must be hurricane season or something because man it rains and the wind is strong and let me tell you riding in that on a bike in a skirt... basically I love my life!)
  • Parking lot contacting and talking to so many cool people
  • Meeting our goals for the week
  • Attending a baptism
  • P-day! (that's always a highlight)
  • Re reading my journal from the first couple days of the mission. I've grown so much already!
  • Teaching Barbara!! She is SOOOO golden!!
  • Creating the Wall of Happiness in our apartment full with pictures of friends and family and good quotes.
Funny quotes of the week
  • "And Sister Thomas... well she's just crazy! She loves to love and I love to love and we could just love everybody all day everyday." - Barbara
  • "Sister Thomas, in 15 months I've never had a companion like you before" ( that was supposed to be a good thing) - Sister Lane
Oh and so tomorrow we are having a mission tour with Elder Kukuchi of the seventy and guess who gets to recite the Standard of Truth, ya me. That just so happens to be the one thing that i have not memorized yet. I could recite all of D&C 4 or like 10 other scriptures but not that one. Oh goody this ought to be great. At least I wasn't asked to sing the solo though, ugh that'd be so scary!!! Out of the 100+ Elders they seem to use the 10 sisters to do everything. It should be good though. I am really excited/nervous but "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear" Good thing I have it memorized huh...
Anyway I need to get going but I love you and seriously thanks so much for all the letters!! It's the best thing in the world. Oh and Laura, I need your new address. I can't believe you're moving!! I am SO sad!! You better move back to Provo when I get home, k? :)
Take care!!
Love
Sister Thomas
Oh those pictures. That's Team BLT and the night we got soaked in the rain yet again. And I have no idea why Sister Lane and I match in both pictures lol. Guess we got great style, well for a missionary that is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Grace.

Dan Thomas said...

I am glad that you are enjoying your mission!

Dan Thomas said...

I also like re-reading my journal on my mission just to see how much I had changed!