Monday, February 7, 2011

Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter was first introduced during WWII inspiring a social movement encouraging  women who were living in a "mans world" while the men where off to war. Her famous, We Can Do It picture was on my mind this week as I continue to struggle with this darn plague.    Full time missionary work is left primarily up the young men who have the priesthood responsibility to serve. As a Sister missionary sometimes I feel like I am living in a mans world. Sister Salinas and I were talking about just how different it is for sisters sometimes but I came to the conclusion... "we can do it!" Even if I am sick for 5 weeks straight. I can do it!
Remember those commercials where they had that caveman that looked, well like a caveman and they made everything they do look so easy. Well that's how I feel right now. Not that it's so easy a caveman could do it but I feel like I look like that caveman.

Spent another week in the trenches. Got to go out a little this week, mostly just traveling to and from the doctor but feeling a little bit better. I tested positive for Mono, how I got that, I have no idea but that's kind of a little monster that doesn't belong in my body. The doctors aren't sure if that's what is making me so sick so we're still playing the guessing game as to what is wrong. Got some antibiotics to hopefully calm that guy down and that has helped a little bit. Other than that, I am SO ready to go back to work. This is going on week 5 of being sick and it's a little discouraging but have no fear. I have found ways to make the most of my time, and so has Sister Salinas.
I read pretty much the whole Teachings of David O McKay book and I love that man. He is so cute! Well and really spiritual too lol. I've pulled a lot of stuff from him. The Zone Leaders dropped off a binder full of talks and I've spent hours reading those. I've been filling my mind with stuff like " The Atonement and Missionary Work" By Elder Holland, "The Inexhaustible Gospel" by Elder Maxwell and tons of stuff by McConkie. The gospel is SOOO cool!
One day we saved a baby turtle! We opened our door and about almost stepped on Donatello. This guy was SO tiny. Had to have been like a couple days old. We wanted to keep him as a pet but decided not to do so and to return him back to the pond. I hope the poor guy survived.  
 
On a more spiritually side note, I have had some many prayers answered this week. I have a testimony of prayer. There is real power in sincere prayer. The answers come not always right away or when we are demanding an answer but line upon line. The come softly and peacefully and they pierce your heart. I've been doing a lot a praying and soul searching this past, well month of being sick and I think the main thing I have learned is a deeper understanding and love of the atonement. The atonement has never been so real to me than at this point in my life. I have never felt my Savior as close to me as I do now. I know that Christ personally suffered for me. He knows what it's like to sit in an apartment for day after day, week after week, feeling not only horrible but discourage that you aren't able to work like you desire. He knows what it's like to feel miles away from every person you hold dear at a time when all you want is for them to hold you and tell you everything is going to be ok. That or hold your hair while you throw up... TMI... gross. But regardless, Christ is the only way where were can find true healing.  We were singing How Firm a Foundation in the other day and verse two felt really applicable to me.
2. In every condition, -- in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth,
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea, --
The Lord, so thy succorr shall be.
Christ is my foundation. He is my strength. I am so happy to be sharing His gospel with the people of Florida whom I love. Even though I am a little disabled at the moment, I hopefully can share my testimony with those in need through my actions and words during this little trial I have been given. I love my Savior. I love this gospel and I love you. Thanks so much for all the prayers on my behalf this week. I truly do feel the strength of it.
Until next time.... WE CAN DO IT! And go out there and make it look so easy a caveman could do it. :)
Love
Sister Grace Thomas

No comments: