Monday, April 4, 2011

"I survived Tornad Thursday"

My life is definitely an adventure! Some days I feel like this super classy and dignified lady as I work my pencil skirt and super cute top, as I go about my day saving one soul at a time and other times I feel like some super creeper who tries to get into peoples homes the first time we meet and I go around doing the dirty work that no one wants to do. Oh the life of a sister. This week was no less of an adventure. It's been raining... a LOT!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, well except when my shoes get soaked, that's kind of annoying. But hey, part of the experience. We've spent a lot of our week trying to find the inactives that no one seems to know who they are. It makes me sad to see how some people get forgotten and others choose to completely separate themselves from the gospel. I once again spent countless hours working on the area book. 

I finally got to the point where I took everything out, called or tried to contact every single person in there. Sent a few referrals to other states, got a few potential investigators, and even found the Fox family. We had dinner over at there house and hopefully can get something going with them. The husband is a member but hasn't been to church in 20 years and the wife is a non member but they love the missionaries. Next week we'll hopefully get over to their house to help plant some flowers.
 
Conveniently the day after I called every one in the areabook, we were stuck inside all day due to Tornadoes!! Apparently over 50 tornadoes touched down in the Tampa area. We have a little time where we were allowed outside according to our own digression. We went out to do a few things we needed to get done and stopped into Panera ( Do they have those back home? This place is amazing!) We walked in ordered, saw this man who I am pretty sure by the looks of it had to be related to President Eyring, and then within 5 minutes, the rain and the wind was so bad, you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. We sat inside and waited that one out. Then we were told to return home asap. So back inside. It was about that time we decided to make t-shirts to mark our historical day. To bad when I made mine the "O" fell off and it said " I survived Tornad Thursday" We laughed pretty hard for quite a while. 
 
Wasn't conference awesome!?! I loved it! We walked in on Saturday morning to find out no one had set up the Satellite. I took that as my cue to get to work. We worked quickly to set it up. Call my a nerd, but I love doing stuff like that. Then this man who looked like he was around for the 1st annul general conference showed up to help us get it up and running. He was so excited that I knew what I was doing and made sure to teach me his ways. He was the cutest old man!! Conference was soon up and running and I was in heaven.
 
Here are a few conference gems I came away with.
 
L Tom Perry : The sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath
Walter Gonzalez : Our responsibilities as members is to invite others to come and see what out church can add to their knowledge. We follow Christ because we love Him
Kent F. Richards : Christ could have known how to succor his people through revelation but He chose to do it through personal experience. Maybe we have the privilege to experience pain through experience so we can come to understand Him better.
Quentin L Cook : (LOVED THIS ONE) I wondered what people could learn about me through the things I carry in my purse  (when I carry one). I also had a sense of pride that I am a women. Call me weird, and I mean this in no creepy way but I love women. I love the responsibility that we have and the blessings that are ours as we remain faithful
Henry B Eyring : Turn your feeling of sympathy into action
Russel M. Nelson : Our faith now becomes our posterity's latter
Richard J Maynes : The understanding of eternal nature of families should inspire us to do everything we can do to have a gospel centered home
Dallin H. Oaks : Desire--> Priorities--> Action--> What we become
M. Russell Ballard : Stop looking for large nuggets and pay attention to the little flakes that can bring great wealth
Dieter F. Uchtdorf : Use your "hands" to open your mouth and share the gospel at the right place and the right time
David A Bednar : Sometimes the spirit will come immediately and other times slowly but the light will always illuminate your soul
Thomas S Monson: Many sacrifices have been made for the temples, we need to sacrifice our time to attend.  (Wish I could but not while I'm one my mission :(  )
Richard G. Scott :  (another one of my favorites, even though I've heard the marriage talk a thousand times) 2 pillars of Gods plan of happiness is marriage and familes!
D. Todd Christofferson : Chasening should be timely and when moved upon by the spirit then an outpouring of love after
Lynn G. Robbins : To Do is a checklist and To Be is something we are
Jeffery R. Holland : One way or another God will have his voice heard and conference is a unique phenomenon
 
I don't know why I typed those all out but hopefully someone liked it. Well I think I've wrote enough for know. I hope all is well and happy.
 
I LOVE MY FAMILY!! :) Just sayin
 
Love
Sister Grace Anne Thomas
 
 
PS Here are some fun pictures