Monday, June 6, 2011

Privileges and Potential Vs The General Authority Smackdown

Hello everybody. 
It's a beautiful Florida Monday morning. The air smells of freshly cut grass, the sun is graciously shinning and everyone is out walking around. It's beautiful here and it's been a beautiful week. On Wednesday I had the opportunity to take President Summerhays granddaugher out a lesson with me. She was in town with her friend to check out the mission life. They are thinking about serving mission so they came to visit. We met up with them and Sister Summerhays was so kind to take us out to dinner. After spending some time getting to know each other we decided to divide and conquer. We said a prayer to figure out who should go with who. The entire prayer Brookes name kept running through my head. After the prayer I asked if she wanted to come with me to go teach the Plan of Salvation to Laura. Everyone else went and tried to do some less active visits. Well the lesson was AWESOME! Once again, I just love teaching! It's the best. Brooke did such an awesome job and she will make a great missionary someday. On the ride back to our apartment we got to talk just about the whole mission life, and for sisters, what's it like to decided to serve a mission. Just talking with her made me reflect on my mission so far and how I'm so grateful for this opportunity. She asked me all sorts of advice like ,"what's it like going without normal music" or "leaving all your friends and family behind" All those things that I remember wondering about not too long again. I also remember people telling me all sorts of advice about what to expect and what the mission life is like. I also remember getting out here and thinking, "WHAT, this is not what I expected" We just talked and the spirit touched my heart and just gave me a reassurance that the Lord is so proud of me and that this privilege to serve with bless my life and my families life forever. Tender little moment. It was so neat to talk with her and I can't wait to hear all about her mission experiences. 
 
 
On Friday, President invited me and Sister Montes to attend a Zone Leaders conference in which Elder Steve Allen would be speaking to us. It was SOOOOO AWESOME!! I think that is the best meeting I've ever attending in my life, close up there with general conference.Elder Allen is the Managing Director of the Missionary Department for the entire world. He said that we have the worlds best mission president and he said that if he had a son( and I'll add daughter) serving now, he would want him to serve under President Summerhays. I totally agree. We do have the worlds best mission president, not to mention and very talented golfer.
The training was so enlightening. The first thing he said was he asked if we wanted it sugar coated or to be given it like a man. I looked around the room at all the elders and made a comment about how I think I was in the wrong meeting. They of course responded in the manliest voices they could raise, "Like a man." I'm over here thinking, sugar coated might be nice. Well he gave it to us straight. He flat out told us that we were living WAY below our privileges. It reminded me of the talk in Priesthood session about that. He said that we should be doing way better. Um, ok yes sir, what ever you say sir! Actually it was really because he told us that we have some of the best missionaries the world has right now and we should be doing a lot better. It was all done out of love and it was really motivational. After telling us the facts, he then when on to teach us how to be successful. He gave us some cool insights as to what went in to making Preach My Gospel and the Preach My Gospel DVDs. He was the Producer of those videos and he told us what went into making those missionaries so good. He said that we have the some potential to be the best. I really like it the meeting though. I feel like my flame and passion for missionary work has be come a little dull since I been out here awhile. Well it's burning brighter than ever now! Sometimes I forget just what a great work I am involved in. This is the best work! I love it.
 
Well I better get going but just out a little plea. If you have time, I would love some letters. There has been a mix up with my mail, and I haven't received any mail the last 5 weeks unless it was sent directly to me. So, not that I'm desperate for mail or anything :) but it'd be nice to hear from everyone. I love you all and pray that you are doing well.
 
 
Love
Sister Thomas
 
PS this is the corrected address
Sister Grace Anne Thomas
3804 Carrollwood Place Cir #106
Tampa FL 33624
 


 

2 comments:

Tessha said...

What a great experience to take out a prospective missionary and actually teach. I love it.

It's also good to see Bruce (the bike) is doing so well.

NelsonFam said...

For anyone who cares, I set up a dearelder.com account and it makes sending letters to Grace SUPER easy. I think I deposited $10.00 at the very beginning and it has lasted this long and and try and write a couple times a month. I just type up a letter and they mail it out. Same cost as a stamp only I don't have to print, envelope, stamp and drop at the mailbox.... try it!