Sunday, June 17, 2012

Things I learned from my father


For starters, I just want to say I love my dad! He is a spiritual giant in my eyes. He is a man who I look up to on so many levels. This wasn't always the case, for there were things I didn't understand. A couple years ago when I was home from college for the weekend, I stole some of his journals. I secretly placed them in my backpack and over the following weeks read them. I  came to see of side of my dad that I feel privileged to know. I LOVE MY DAD!

I have observed him over the last few years as he overcomes trials and continues to put his trust in our Heavenly Father. I am so blessed to call Dan Thomas my earthly father. He is an great example to me and I find that when I am struggling spiritually, I seek my his advice. It's usually simple, short, but very profound.


things I have learned from my father
a love for the scriptures. 
the value of hard work
patience in tribulation
endurance
2 eggs make a good breakfast
the importance of education
my love for my family
respect and honor for the priesthood
I will marry a man who fulfills his priesthood duties
quiet dignity ( still working on that one)
how to make pancakes
time spent together as a family is priceless
"you will have fun"
sometimes it's nice to let the milk reach the expiration date
my love for jam
a love for my mother
the importance of the temple and the convenants found there
heeding to the promptings of the spirit
trust in the Lords plan 
a love for the Savior and His atonement

( that little cross stitch bookmark in his hand "#1 Dad", ya I made that when I was like 8)


 I feel I should acknowledge my brothers/brother-in-laws as well. They have definitely taught me the importance of the priesthood. I love watching them interact with their children (or just talking with Seth) and it gives me so much hope knowing that there are wonderful men out there who love their families, their wives, and the Lord.



Another father figure in my life is my mission president, President Summerhays. I love that man so much! Words can't describe my respect and adoration for him. He has taught me how to love unconditionally. His loyalty to the Lord is unmatched and inspires me to always love the Lord and serve Him the very best I can.  Thanks! 



This post wouldn't be complete with out taking a second to acknowledge and thank the wonderful guy friends who I have been blessed to know, assocaite with and come to love. They have taught me countless lessons that have shaped who I am. They have helped me to see I am something worth loving, that deserves to be treated well. They listen to me. They entertain me. They take care of me. They inspire me. They make me laugh. They teach me through example. I won't list off names for there are many but you know who you are.  For these men, I am sincerely grateful. 





Happy Father's Day to the wonderful men in my life




1 comment:

Dan Thomas said...

Grace, you deserve so much more than I could ever give you.