Sunday, June 10, 2012

Water



 I have been blessed with not one but two jobs that I love. Which is a really good thing because I spend a lot of time working between the two of them. Along with my job as a reporter/editor, I work at 26.2 Running Company, a job I stumbled upon back in March. I think it was Heavenly Fathers way of helping me discover a new passion.

 I worked at the Utah Valley Marathon on Saturday and it's so easy to make life metaphors when it comes to running. Probably one of the many reason I love running so much (notice"running nerd" on my shirt). My job was to hand water to the runners and to provide encouragement. I was positioned at mile marker 19 where I think most people hit their wall.

 I have noticed that I am a person who pays attention to detail and I find some way to apply it to my life. I thought I would share some observations I had and I will let you come to your own conclusion for life metaphors.


  • Some people are just better at running than others but anybody can do a marathon is they choose to do it
  • A simple thank you goes a long way and made me want to keep helping
  • I hope the people who took a second to put the cup in the trash can, did better on their time
  • Desperation can make a person act differently
  • People came from over 46 different states and 9 countries all for the experience of running a marathon
  • Part of me just lights up inside when in the running atmosphere
  • I didn't know what the previous part of the race was like for them or the end results. All I saw was that brief moment of their journey. I was curious to see their individual faces all at the beginning and the end of the race
  • I was almost attacked by a mob of thirsty women
  • Having the right gear, shoes, clothes etc.. had a profound impact on their experience
  • Some people like to have encouragement where others, just leave them alone hah
  • Those who had people with them seemed to be having a better time
  • Sometimes, you really can't go much further on your own and you need to ride in the special medical vehicle down to the bottom and that's ok. It's the best option.
  • It was rather easy to spot those individuals who took the time to train/prepare themselves for the race 
  • Epic music makes things so much more exciting
  • I felt like the seagulls from Finding Nemo as I repetitively called out "Water?" but I needed to be said over and over so people knew what was in the cup
Mosiah 4:27 "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it's expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore all things must be done in order."





2 comments:

Sandy said...

I love this blog with all your thoughtful insights. I understand your love for running and your passion for service. "Thank you" from someone who didn't even get to run.

Will Thomas said...

Great post! Hope you get to be back on the receiving end soon.