
I recently went to the Mormon Manti Pageant with a group of friends. Although the over acting and corny script made the whole thing quite mockable, I learned a very valuable lesson. Sitting behind me was this cute little family who kept making the funniest commentary on the show. During the scene where Christ comes to the Lamanites, the little boy exclaimed, " Is that Jesus Daddy?!" He was SO excited to see "Jesus" The dad responded and explained that it wasn't actually Jesus but an actor. As I listened to the Dad explain to this little boy that Christ had come and will one day return, I thought about how important it is for us to teach our children to recognize Jesus. Not in the sense that if we saw him walking down the street but that we can recognize His spirit. I began to think about the examples of parents in my life. I watch my older siblings teach their children and I am amazed at the types of parents they are. I have learned so much from just watching them and I understand the importance of teaching our children the gospel. Not only teaching them, but also being an example of living the gospel. So someday when I have children, I hope that I too can teach them to recognize "Jesus" so when he comes again, they will know him.

I had another little experience that made me pause and think. This last weekend I went down to Pocatello to hang out with Seth for the weekend. By the way, thanks Seth for letting me come! Well on my way home I was driving down all these one way streets trying to find my way back to the freeway. I had no idea where I was or what direction I needed to go. I was getting really frustrated because I could see the freeway and I knew I was close but I couldn't find the dumb street that would lead me to the one ramp. I decided to turn around and ended up going down this one street that didn't look to promising. Then I noticed off to the side of the road this lady who had fallen off her bike. I saw her husband trying to help her up and my first thought was, "Ouch that doesn't look good" and i kept driving. Before I knew it I was turned around and jumping out of my car. It was then I noticed the blood covering her face. Now I don't know anything about emergency situations but pretty soon I was somehow helping this lady. I honestly don't remember what I said or did but I do remember feeling like I was in the right place at the right time. As I left, I knew that I would probably never see these people again but I felt a love for them that surprised me. I know nothing about them but I do know that they are Heavenly Fathers children and I had the opportunity to help them. Then I began to think, as I tend to do a lot, that how sometimes in life we drive up and down those darn one way streets trying to find the freeway on ramp. We can hear it and see it but we just can't find the street that will take us to it. In the process we end up finding people can help us or need our help. If we follow the guidance as to which direction we need to take, we'll be surprised at the people we meet along the way. That sweet little couple was so surprised that I had drove passed them because they said no one hardly ever drives down that street. I thought I was so lost but little did I know I was exactly where I needed to be. Soon after I found the freeway entrence and was on my way home. Sorry if this story made no sense at all or if you couldn't see the connection to my metaphor. I guess it just meant a lot to me because it hit home to me on a couple thoughts I'd been having. I think I just need to trust in the Lord that the direction he is leading me is where I need to be and that I will meet some incredible people along the way. I need to be intune to the spirit as to those people that need my help and those that can help me.
I don't want this story to come off as, "look at me, I saved this poor old lady. I'm the good samaritan" If anything I came away from it thinking that we never know when someone is going to need our help but always be willing to help and listen to the spirit as to where we need to be. The Lord what is best for us and if we follow his guidence we will be led to exactly where we need to be.
7 comments:
You. Are. Ace. Grace.
You can call it, "The parable of the one-way street." Thank you Grace, for sharing such inspirational stories. :)
Love it Grace!
It's funny how as a parent you try to teach things and it doesn't come across the way you hope, but ya know something is clicking. 2 months ago we started pointing at a picture of Christ on our wall every time we walked by holding Preston and we would stop and say "Jesus". Now whenever we walk past any picture with a person in it, He gets excited, jumps, points, and says "zeus". Not exactly what we had in mind but maybe someday he'll get it. lol
Also had one of those one way street parables last night hiking off a mountain after dark and ran across a deaf lady that dislocated her hip and was to able carry her off the mountain. A little sore today, but it's nice knowing Heavenly Father is thinking of you personally to put you in the right spot at the right time.
It has been my experience that children learn what the see.
You will be an amazing mother. I love how you love all your nieces and nephews and actually PLAY with them. THey adore you, too.
You will be an amazing mother. I love how you love all your nieces and nephews and actually PLAY with them. THey adore you, too.
Post a Comment