Sunday, September 6, 2009

I love learning!!

As my dear friend Adam Sandler once said
" Back to School, back to school
to prove to my Dad I'm not a fool.
I got my lunch packed up
my boots tied tight.
Hope I don't get in a fight!"

Recess is over and I am starting my Junior year at BYU. This semester I decided that I really wanted to focus on school and push my self harder than I ever have before. In my Patriarchal Blessing is talks about getting the education that I want and that I can do what I want through my efforts. So I'm putting it to the test. This semester I am taking 15.5 credits, working about 15-20 hours a week at BYU Broadcasting, and every other Saturday at the bridal store. It's going to be tough but so far the first week has been wonderful. I forgot how much I love learning! I left all my classes thinking about the things we talked about that day and how cool it is to incorporate the gospel in to my secular learning. I've been at BYU for a while and it's nothing new but it really puts learning into perspective.

Here is a look at some of my classes

D&C: I am taking the first half of The Doctrine and Covenants and we'll be talking about Joseph Smith and the revelations that he received on behalf of the church.

World Dance: This is probably one of my favorite classes ever! So far we've learned a Russian dance called Komlatrov and and English square dance. It's SOO fun. This kind of dancing I can do.

Spanish 101: I've never taken a foreign language class before and just the thought of it freaked me out. I decided that it was time to put my fear behind me and just try it. My first day of class the teacher, who is younger than me, spoke only Spanish. This class is going to kick my trash but I want to do. I've spent almost 4 hours every night in the library studying just Spanish.

Stats 221: I haven't taken a Math class since my junior year in high school. What my Professor said was considered easy in the class I struggled to understand the concept but hopefully after some more time in the library and serious plead for help from the Lord, I think I'll be ok.

Sociology of Gender: I LOVE this class!! It's so cool. Here was talk about how society plays into how we determine someone to be masculine or feminine and how males and females interact. It's so fascinating to me! We also had a great discussion about how " gender is eternal."

Methods of Research in Sociology: This class freaked me out just because it had the word research in the title but it actually going to be pretty fun. We participate in putting together surveys and conducting interviews.

It's going to be a demanding semester so if you don't hear from me in a while, it's probably because I'm at work, in class, or in the library. Please keep my in your prayers that I will be able to keep my focus and comprehend the things I am learning.

3 comments:

The Hands said...

I can't help you with Spanish or Research Methods in Sociology, but if you need any help with stats, I'll be here for you. :)

-Will W.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've got Pi-man to back you up on the stats. The only reason i passed stats is because James was in my class. hehehe

I to research methods for social work and I really liked it. If you still plan on doing social work for your masters we'll need this class.

The gender class will be interesting and I want to see some video footage of you dancing.

Gook luck this semester, i know you can do it.

Jessica Judy said...

good luck, Grace! you can do it! That's so neat that you're up for the challenge, it sounds like you will have some trying but enjoyable classes. i hope they are all great learning experiences for you!