Monday, October 25, 2010

Project Happiness

I can't believe its Monday already. I'm not complaining, I love Monday but this week has flown by. This week has been full of adventures. My first grand adventure started out Tuesday. It was full of crazy tracting stories. There are some funny people in this world. I think I enjoy tracting just because of all the funny stories I now have. After 3 weeks of our washer being broken and not having money to pay to go to a laundry mat, we rolled up our sleeves (well not literally because it's too hot for long sleeves) and filled up our tub and went back to work. At first I was really excited and kept thinking how cool it was that I was washing my clothes by hand but after about 30 minutes I realized this wasn't so fun anymore. It's exhausting. Don't worry, after we spent all that time washing our clothes by hand, we got a call from someone saying they were coming to fix our washer. I was so grateful just found it a little ironic that we waited forever for him to come and shortly after we washed them by hand he calls. Ha well chalk that one up as experience. The guy came and seriously he was like 5' 2", probably 120 lbs and was 87 years old. He refused to let us help him and so by himself he picked up our washer and carried it too his truck. Sister Lane and I were so amazed!! Needless to say I now have clean clothes and a new appreciation for old men.



This week has been a little discouraging for me because I felt like everything I had done was wrong. Appointments fell through, our numbers were down, one of our strong investigators won't call us back, and tracting is just so unproductive. We set up 7 church tours for Saturday, had a member there and everything and not one showed up even after we called them and they said they were coming. I was feeling like since Sister Broderick left, I had ruined everything in the area. Despite being a little discouraged, I found that I am still really happy. Why is that? Well it's because I know the gospel. I understand the plan of salvation. I know that I am part of the greatest work. I know that Jesus Christ is the son of God and he is my personal savior. Isn't that reason enough to rejoice? Now take that and add that I have a wonderful family who supports me on my mission. I have the most amazing friends, some of which are doing the same thing I am doing all over the world. I am a servant of my Lord. I get to help people experience the same thing that brings me the most joy. I pulled out my temple recommend the other day and I looked at the simple piece of paper and realized how truly grateful I am to be worthy to enter the Lords house. I know that we have a prophet on the earth. We have the priesthood, temples, the sacrament, eternal families, and the scriptures. How can you not be happy? In my scripture study lately I've been noticing a pattern. How many times does it say, "Be of good cheer" "Fear Not" ... A lot! But for some reason I think we're not getting the message. Yes, there is a lot of bad in the world. Yes, horrible things happen. Yes, we all go through trials beyond comprehension. Yes, we get pushed to our absolute limits. In no way am I belittling these trials. They are real and they are painful.

Good thing we have the gospel huh, the "good news." What is the good news? Well simply it is that Jesus Christ came to this earth and made it possible for us to be clean and returns to live with our loving Father in Heaven and our families forever in a state of never ending happiness. "Men are that they might have joy."

One of most favorite stories in the Book of Mormon is in Alma 27:17-18 when Ammon passes out because he is so happy. I find that quite funny. I want to be so happy I pass out.

Verse 28 " Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness."

Sister Lane shared with me a cool quote from a member of the mission presidency. It paints such a beautiful and comical imagine in my head and I hope it does the same for you.

“The mission (school, marriage, work, raising children, life) is like a roller coaster. You can either get on it with grim determination and just endure it OR you can be happy. Wave you hands in the air! Risk your first thought to save yourself and really enjoy the ride. Be excited! Excitement is contagious. Others will see your enthusiasm and will want to have the same thing. "Project Happiness!"

I say the same thing Kronk said to Ezma in Emperor’s New Groove, "Ezma put your hands in the air!"

Go out there and enjoy the ride. Until next week....

Love
Sister Grace Anne Thomas








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your postive attitude. And the quote at the end. Good luck with your upcomming week. May the force be with you. :)

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot. I love the picture in the mirror. So cool

Unknown said...

oh I love this blog. I had no idea that your letters were going on here. Can you get this grace. do you get to see your blog on the mission? Hmmm. Things are so different from back in the day when I served. loving the bum pose too. hahah