Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello My Name is: Sister Thomas and I'm a Mormon

Hey Hey Hey, It's Fat Albert... er... I mean Sister Thomas. So this week has been pretty much the usual, teaching, tracting, being followed around by a camera crew, hanging out with famous LDS actors,  you know the usual. Ok so that last part wasn't  normal but definitely made for an way fun day.
Here's the rest of the story....
So because my mission president is the Bruce Summerhays, Mormon.Org decided to do a profile on him and what he is doing now that he retired from the PGA. I haven't had the opportunity to check out the new mormon.org campaign they've been working on but apparently it's pretty cool. So Wednesday I show up to our Zone/District Meeting and there was a camera crew hanging out. I felt like I was right back at BYU Broadcasting and I couldn't help but talk to all the people about what type of camera they had and all sorts of fun questions.  They filmed our whole meeting, that was a little weird but kind of made me feel all epic. Then they said the words, "role play" and "sisters" in the same sentence and I think that's about the time I went into cardiac arrested. Ok that probably wasn't the best joke to make considering my previous cardiac problems, but really I think that's about when my stomach fell to the floor and then everyone started talking in slow motion and looking at me. In a slow muffled tone I hear, "Heeeey, thaaaaaatttt's yooooooou, geeeeet uuuuuuupppppp tthhhheeeerre." Oh no, did they just volunteer me to role play with the mission president in from of this camera crew so it can be posted on the Internet for the whole world to see?! Um..... I think I have to go.... to... um... water my plants or something. I get nervous enough teaching in front of complete strangers let alone in front of my whole zone, President Summerhays and a camera that's all up in my face with a big ol light shining right in my face amplifying every blemish I've ever had and now the sweat that is dripping from my brows. Not to mention, I'm training so no pressure. Oddly, I loved every moment of it! :) I don't think I've prayed so hard as I did in those 15 minutes. Ok that's not true but close. After our meeting, I began talking to the crew about their job and how they got put on working for projects like this. I was in heaven. Part of me just lit up inside. I even got a connection. One of the guys gave me his card and said to call when I get home and I might be able to help on some projects the church is working on i.e Mormon Messages, and the new Mormon.Org videos. SO COOL! The guy who was doing the photography was the guy who played the German in Saints and Soldiers. Ha, he was a hoot. Anyway, that made for a fun district meeting. I also found it funny that here is this camera crew from the church here to film our missionaries and the elders can't wait to be done so they can go to Taco Bell. Ha, makes me laugh.  They said it should be online in a couple months like March or April so keep on eye out for it and you can see Sister Thomas at work. Action shots of the mission as I like to call it. Florida Tampa Mission : The Real Story.
The rest of the week was just as exciting. We've been teaching a couple new investigators, one of which is Roy. He is so cool. Trying to put his life together and thought he'd give church a try. We tracted into him on the streets and invited him to church and he actually came. So now we've been teaching him and he has come three weeks in a row and is reading the Book of Mormon. In our PEC meeting yesterday, the Bishop shared a story about how he was at the church and Roy was waiting for our lesson and he told the Bishop he was waiting for Sister Teressa meaning Sister Thomas. Made me chuckle. I really am amazed at his willingness to search out truth. He is a great guy and I'm excited to teach him more.
This week has also been full of tender mercies. Working with so many different people, I get to experience vicariously differently lifestyles and see the consequences of actions both for good and bad. I always tend to get myself wrapped up in peoples lives so much that I feel like I experience everything right along with them. That can be a great thing but can drain me emotionally if I am not careful. I was talking to Sister Salinas about how I want to just carry these people on my back through their trials so they don't have to suffer. I want to just make them laugh and solve all their problems. Unfortunately, I can't. As hard as I try, I do not have the capabilities to solve all their problems. Sister Ferguson, a member of our ward was talking about how she feels the same way sometimes but she had to learn that we can't heal. The Savior is the only one who can heal. He is the only one with the power and capabilities to heal us. We are to strengthen, support, love, encourage but He is the one to heal them. That really stood out to me. I don't know how to solve their problems and heal their pain but I do know to what source they can find that healing. I know because I have personally experienced the Saviors healing power.  I have felt myself stand strong by myself as I've faced insurmountable hurt and pain. I know that He is the only source to find true healing.
I was reading in 3rd Nephi chapter 17 and came across this...
6And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with acompassion towards you.
 7Have ye any that are asick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or bleprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will cheal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.
9.....and he did heal them every one....
This concept also took a double meaning to me lately because I haven't been able to shake whatever this flu/cold/bubonic plague thing that has managed to attach itself to me. I hate being sick and feeling held back. I'm the person that likes to go, go, go and then play, play, play, and if I can't do that I feel like I am failing. I've had to step back and realized that the Lord is in control. Christ has the power to heal both physically, mentally, and spiritually and He will if we have faith but He will also do it at the time that will yield the biggest advantage for us. I am grateful for those times where I have to just sit back and trust. I am grateful for the times that he lets me struggle just a little bit so I can grow and learn. I then get to take my experiences with the atonement and testify of Jesus Christ and His healing power to those who need the message the most. I love what I do. I love the gospel. I love Florida. Most importantly I love the Savior and am eternally gratefully for his sacrifice. Although I can't comprehend it, I know it happened.
I hope you all are doing well. I hope you are doing what you can to move the gospel forward where ever you are, whatever your situation. It's true! Stay safe, laugh lots and love more!
Love
Sister Grace Anne Thomas
Oh P.S Will and Jenni: Tell your brother Stephen to keep an eye out for me at stake conference on Sunday. I'm still in the same stake! :)
I also attached a picture of Sister Salinas morning prayer... haa makes me smile. 
  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exactly how perform a reverse license plate owner look up? I would like to know if there's any existing way you can type in a license plate number on the web and see the name of the individual if it belongs to or the address of that individual. Can someone help me to solve this? It's an The state of illinois plate with S by the end of it. Please email me whether you can perform a search or post if you know easy methods to do a absolutely free one. Thanks a lot.