I've adapted the motto for my mission, "Work Hard, Play Hard." The last couple weeks, well months really, have been rather stressful for me. A lot going on and trying to help everyone to the very best of my abilities has taken it's toll on me. I've spent the last 6 months trying to find the balance of working so ridiculously hard with out killing myself and still having fun, creating memories etc... Moderation in all things right? Well how do you do that as a missionary when you're whole existence revolves preaching the gospel. I think I've figure it out. Work Hard, Play Hard. I've put that to the test this transfer and I love it! This past week has been awesomely fun and super fruitful.
We've discovered some new friends, the Hermanas who apparently share an area with us. Who knew? Well we've spent the last 3 p-days hanging out with them. I tell you, so much fun!
It's just nice to get together with other Sister and get to know them better. They have definitely all helped me and strengthened me in the work. Yesterday for P-day we went to Skate World! Ok, so I think the last time I went to a skate world was like back in 6th grade for a birthday party or something. Actually no, I think it was for a Single Adult Activity but I try to forget those lol. Because it was a holiday there were TONS of little kiddos everywhere and then there were 5 of these crazy giants girls skating around. Fact: I don't think I've laughed so hard in my entire life. Well it was all fun and games until I took I tumble. That's what I get for showing off. I got a wicked sweet bruise on my knee and my left knee is twice the size of my right knee. It's pretty cool. Not so fun when I had to get on my bike and ride a couple miles but it was totally worth it.
With that time to be able to relax a little and just enjoy my time here, I have been better able to put more zeal into the work. This week have expanded my horizons a little bit by trying to be more creative with the work. I will do anything as long as I don't have to tract for 10 hours straight. So, we put on our thinking caps and switched up the routine a little. We've found ways to serve those around us by doing simple service such as helping a new neighbor. I made some calls using the good ol yellow pages, ( you know the prehistoric way of finding locations prior to Google, remember those? ). I remembered how when I was back in school I would volunteer at the soup kitchen once a week and those were seriously the best days. The Elders there volunteered once a week with me. Now there's an idea. I'm now in the process of getting something set up for once a week the missionaries will go to a retirement home and run some activities. Wish me luck. I'll get transferred just as it gets set up but hopefully it'll help the area. We also invited some of the young women to come tracting with us. Ok, um, SOO much fun!! The girls are amazing and so eager to bare their testimonies! I prayed that they would have a good experience with us and that was the best tracting experience yet. We had lesson after lesson and new investigator after new investigator. I definitely know the Lord was blessing us.
I've met so many awesome people this week that I'm really excited to start teaching. The Lord is blessing me in so many ways. Someone told me in a letter that the Lord doesn't expect us to find golden investigators everyday, in fact that is rare, but he does expect me to work like I am going to find one everyday. That has been replaying in my head all week and has pushed me to work a little harder and exercise more faith. It's paying off.
In addition to my new and creative ways of sharing the gospel, I have been having a a snow day (I specifically said snow because apparently Florida is the only state without snow) with the scriptures! President Hinckley pretty much sums up my feelings
I love our scriptures. I love these wonderful volumes, which set forth the word of the Lord—given personally or through prophets—for the guidance of our Father’s sons and daughters. I love to read the scriptures, and I try to do so consistently and repeatedly. I like to quote from them, for they give the voice of authority to that which I say. I do not claim distinction as a scholar of the scriptures. For me, the reading of the scriptures is not the pursuit of scholarship. Rather, it is a love affair with the word of the Lord and that of his prophets. They contain so much for each of us. President Gordon B Hinckley
Any spare minute I have, I am reading from the scriptures! They are my source of peace, understanding, and joy. They are amazing!! I just can't get enough. Pour Sister Salinas as I so enthusiastically share everything I'm learning. It's great and I'm happy.
Here are a few of my recent developments I thought you might be interested in knowing
- I can now do the maccarena while riding my bike... in a skirt!
- I can carry a Hungry Howies pizza box while riding my bike... in a skirt... in the wind... in the dark
- I have eaten at a side of the road BBQ pit. Looked a little sketchy but man was it GOOD!
- And I have memorized the first half of the Living Christ.
- I have a Hello Kitty fetish
- I eat jalapenos for breakfast. Seriously. I have a new found love for anything spicy and I mean REALLY spicy. I put hot sauce on everything
I am so happy right now. I am tired, sore, but oh so very happy. As I work hard and play hard, I could do this mission thing for the rest of my life. I feel the peace the comes from being obedient. I witness the blessings of hard work and I enjoy the love of missionary work.
President David O. McKay said, “Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, that the love of work is success”
I pray that you are all doing well, working hard, and LOVING your life. I know I am. This church is Christs kingdom upon the Earth. I know this by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know that I am in the right place, doing what the Lord wants me to be doing and there is nothing better than serving the Lord.
Take care and don't forget about me
Love,
Sister Grace Thomas





No comments:
Post a Comment