Monday, January 3, 2011

Little did she know

 Happy New Year everyone!
 
Here I am again sitting at this computer trying to accurately describe my life and all the things I am learning and experiencing but once again can't find the right words to express just how happy I am. This past week has been wonderful.
 
I've been doing a lot of pondering this week and reflecting on the past year. A line from the movie Stranger Than Fiction popped into my head... "and little did he know how" and then something else that I can't remember but the thought "little did I know" has been running through my head. When I think about this time last year, I am taken back to when my family all got this weird sickness over New years and then I  forward past that part because well, let's face it, no one wants to remember that but unfortunately I think we all do :) but that's beside the point. 2010 has been a land mark year for me. So many life changing events took place and so many blessings have come my way. I could sit here and tell you all the wonderful blessings that I've experienced but I think the most important one has been the privilege to serve a mission. I feel like everything that happened this year has helped me to come to the decision that I wanted to serve a mission.  From my dads health that we experienced as a family and just the realization of how truly grateful I am for the gospel in my life. As I sat in the hospital room with my mom and read from my scriptures, I felt so impressed that there were other people just like me throughout the world who need to hear the gospel. They are waiting for it. I decided that I wanted to show the Lord just how much I really do love him by serving him. I put everything on hold and excitedly accepted my call to Florida hoping for the best and really having no idea what I was about what I just signed up for. The last half of the year has been the hardest, funnest, awkwardest, most rewarding thing I've ever done. Little did I know at the start of last year that I would one day be sitting here talking about my mission experiences. Little did I know that my life would forever change. Little did I know that I would soon meet some of my new best friends and build relationships that will last for eternity. Little did I know, when I signed my name on that mission acceptance letter what exactly the Lord had in store for me.
 
I think far too often, we don't know what things the Lord has planned for us. But I do know that as we rely on the spirit, exercise our faith in the Savior and as we continue to do those small and simple things, that the Lord will really bring great things to pass. I know this because I am a living testimony of it. This year, is a great thing. My mission, is a great thing. My testimony is a great thing. My life is a great thing. And it's come through small and simple things.
 
I also think that we don't understand the influence that we can have on people for the better or for the worst. This week my good friend Shelby was baptized. I love Shelby. She has taught my so much about faith and courage. She has been investigating the church for about 3 years now and I had the opportunity to teach her and watch her receive the covenant of baptism. I have watched this young woman as she has interacted with the ward, her friends, and family as she has come to accept the gospel. I am so amazed at the influence she has had on them. In testimony meeting she bore her testimony and so did so many others about how someone in their family at some point joined the church and they were a result of someones faith. I know that so many people have touched my life, not only on my mission but prior to my mission as well. So many of you, (most likely if you're reading this) have influenced me. You have strengthened my testimony. Thank you for that. I can not thank you enough for the examples you have all been to me.
 
I am SO excited to see what the Lord has in store for me this upcoming year as I continue to faithfully serve him. I will be starting off the year still in New Tampa and another transfer with Sister Salinas. I can't wait until the end of this year and I can look back and see all the beautiful things that I have experienced this year. So many good things are in store.
 
There is a Mormon message video I watched on Sunday that made me so happy! I hope that maybe Elizabeth can put it on my blog because I think it illustrates a point that I am unable to express. It's called "Good Things To Come." 
 
 
Little do I know... what this next year holds :) Bring it on!
 
I Love you all. I really really do! 
 
Love
Sister Thomas
 
Oh here are some funny things that happend this week



  • There was a random otter sitting on our door step one day as we were leaving. That was SO weird!!
  • I had my second bike crash. Well it was more like a bounce. I bounced off my bike and then bounced back on. Very graceful really but not so painfree. I'm it had to be funny to watch though because Sister Salinas laughed the rest of the day.
  • Sometimes when we're downtown, there are a ton of people riding around bikes and sometimes, just sometimes, I like the race the little kids. I may be in a skirt but I can go pretty fast. I think the kids love it. I look over and say, "Hey, I'll race you" "You're on!!" They all yell. I of course let them win :) I love Tampa!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how many times I read that talk by Elder Holland on my mission. Still today it is one of my most inspiring ones. I think I still have it on cassette. haha