Monday, August 8, 2011

A dingo ate my baby!

Hey Friends!
 
Let me tell you a little about my new companion. She says some funny things like " where is the rubbage bin?"  and " We shall have heaps of fun" and "she is about to pull the plot" (not sure what that one means) and she keeps trying to get into the drivers seat by accident. Everyone keeps asking if she comes from the land down under but nope, it's Sister Wilson, my greenie from New Zealand. I love her!! When we were introduced to each other at the training meeting, she said hello and I just dropped my jaw and forgot to hug her and got so excited because she had an accent. I may or may not be speaking like her in a few weeks.
 
Speaking of crazy languages, I am learning Haitian Creole! It's a mix of French and some island language, I guess. There is a sister in the ward who comes every week but doesn't understand a word of Engish. I found out that only thing she wanted was to be able to speak English so she could participate in church. I felt so bad for her so I decided I would teach her English. Not sure what made me think I knew how to do that but it has been such a cool experience. Being able to communicate with each other, with neither of us knowing the other language, is remarkable. After a couple weeks of daily meetings, she can almost pray in english and in return I can almost pray in Creole. It's weird it almost want to come out of me when I pray instead of English, yet I only know a few words.
 
Well the work continues to move forward. We have a lady who is working towards baptism ath the end of August. It's neat to watch her listen and act on the promtings of the spirit. We had a great lesson with her husband the other day and he is such a great man who just wants his family to be taken care of. I love working with families. It's my favorite!
 
We got to attend the Rays game on Saturday. It was a blast! There were a ton of missionaries there and it was so cool to see them just stand out in a crowd.
 
My camera battery just died so I won't be able to attach pictures this week. Lame! But I'll attach them next week. Good luck Elizabeth. I hope thigns go well with the baby and I am excited to see pictures. You've been in my prayers and I know that things will go smoothly. Have a wonderful week!
 
Love
 Sister Thomas

No comments: