Sunday, July 29, 2012

Timp Half

A while ago this happened

which led to this

and eventually this




Let me back up for a minute. While on my mission, I made a goal that I was going to run a marathon. As soon as I returned home I began training. An unexpected, and definitely unwelcome, set back stopped that from happening

broken foot

meant weeks with no running and a sore foot after

You might find this ironic. The day I broke my foot was also my first day working at 26.2. Running Company. I hobbled in on crutches coming straight from the urgent care to start my first shift. I'll tell you, that was a discouraging first day of work. But being surrounded by an atmosphere I thrive in, it only encouraged me to continue to work toward my running goals.

As much as I enjoyed working at the Utah Valley Half Marathon, it hit me just how much I hate to be on the sidelines. So that day I signed myself, and much to his surprise, my friend Hyrum up to run the Timp Half. As so the training began...  
While most of my runs I did by myself, it was nice to have someone to train with. 

Thank you Hyrum for being such a great sport.

Race day came and I'll be honest, I felt a little unprepared due to my lack of running the previous couple weeks. I had 2 goals. Run the whole way and do it under 2 hours. 

The race its self was rather enjoyable. The first 9 miles I felt so great. I loved my new shoes. My knees felt great. My heart didn't beat irregularly. The view was astonishing. I was kicking butt time wise. I hit a wall about mile 9 and my pace slowed down a bit. Hyrum continue on and I just focused on finishing. 

As I was coming around to the finish line, I saw Kelsey standing there. That made me seriously so happy!! She ran with me for a bit. Then a few yards later, there was Steve! Yeah!  He ran with my for a bit too. I came around a corner and saw this cute little arch made of ballons and so I assumed it was the finish line. I bolted towards it. But then I heard people saying "you're almost there". No, I am here. I just finished. But then I saw the actual finish line a few yards away. The words, "well that isn't very nice" escaped my mouth as I then sprinted to the actually finish line. I heard some fellow employee call out my name and I guess I gave them a funny look. 

Laura (and little baby in belly) was there to support me. I loved having people there. For me, this was a big accomplishment. It wasn't just finishing a race but it was overcoming something that has haunted me for a while. 


My facebook status from a couple days away will explain




I think that sums it up pretty nicely. 

oh and what was my time?
1:56:35.0

It feels great!!
my knee... not so much



Apparently I took 2nd place in the under 15 division. Sweet! Wonder if I get a prize...? 




Also, great job Hyrum who finished 1:53:00.

And in case you were wondering, my training for a full marathon start as soon as my knee has rested a bit. No scheduled marathon yet, as I will be leaving the country in a couple weeks but Laura and I have plans for next summer. 


Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do something.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." -Philippians 4:13
this I know.




3 comments:

Will Thomas said...

Another runner in the family. Glad you caught the bug.

James and Elizabeth said...

Way to go Grace.

Diane Clayton said...

GOOD JOB!!!! I am proud of you